History of the Villa
The property at No. 22 Drobného Street (the former Sadová – Parkstrasse) consisted in the 19th century of two building plots with garden houses and two sites occupied by a vineyard and a garden.
In 1903 the property was bought by manufacturer Moritz Fuhrmann (1850-1910), who had a house built there. According to the community bulletin for the provincial capital of Brno, there were four flats situated in the two-storey house, comprising 14 rooms and 7 cabinets, 3 kitchens, 2 bathrooms and 6 toilets. The street and garden fronts are decorated with Art Nouveau vegetable stucco decorations and, in the lower part, with rustication strips. Similar decorations are used on the walls and ceilings indoors, including timber elements. Also ceramic floor tiles and the cast iron handrails of the staircase are decorated with Art Nouveau floral patterns. The author of the design was most likely the Viennese architect Alexander Neumann (1861-1947).
After Fuhrmann's death, in August 1913 his heirs sold the house to the textile entrepreneur Alfred Löw-Beer (1872-1939) for 290 thousand crowns. The new owner had the house partially adapted in the 1930s (particularly the space of the central staircase hall). The adaptation was designed by the Viennese architect Rudolf Baumfeld (1903-1988).
In 1940 the house was confiscated by the Germans for the needs of the secret state police (Gestapo). In 1946 the building was put under national administration and in 1954 it was placed under the ownership of the Czechoslovak state. From 1962-2012 the villa was used as a hall of residence.
Now the Löw-Beer Villa is in the ownership of South Moravian Region and administered by the Museum of the Brno Region, contributory organization.